Oral Fluid Drug Testing
On May 12, 2015, the Federal Register published proposed guidelines from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) for the inclusion of oral fluid specimens in the Mandatory Guidelines for Federal Workplace Drug Testing Programs.
Sounds important – but what does it mean for Third Party Administrators (TPAs) and employers?
In a nutshell the proposal:
- Establishes standards and technical requirements for oral fluid collection devices,
- Details initial oral fluid drug test analytes and methods,
- Details confirmatory oral fluid drug test analytes and methods,
- Establishes processes for review by a Medical Review Officer (MRO), and
- Outlines requirements for federal agency actions